Friday, January 29, 2010

By Law

By law I'm not supposed to be doing this.
By law I'm not supposed to be up so late.
By law I can't use the computer.
By law I'm not a full time student. 


Being a partial full time student at Foursea's Bible College, Singapore has it advantages. Eventhough I am bound by certain rules, I am not required to follow them fully. So that gives me a decent amount of freedom.

By law, you can't drink water in the MRT.
Being in Singapore for about 2 weeks now, I noticed a lot of things about Singapore and its citizens.
First, the Mass Rapid Transits(MRT), these things are seriously MASIVE. It is like 3 times longer than the KL LRT's, 100 times more efficient than the LRT and 1000 times more organised. Looking at the Singapore map which showed the rail tracks and through travel experience, I discovered that I can like cross from the south of Spore to the north in like 45 minutes. It's that efficient. and it travels a lot faster than the LRT's of Malaysia. Comparing the KTM to the MRT would be like comparing a slug to a cheetah. I remember waiting for o whole hour for a KTM commuter, and here i only need to wait 3 to 4 minutes for a MRT to arrive at the stations. Awesome!

By law, you can't own a house unless your friggin rich.
Next, the housing development. Due to the lack of land in singapore, developers can't build single unit houses. Therefore, they have to build up. Singapore is full of flats and condominiums. Everywhere I turn i see flats, esp in the housing areas, its just like spores, scattered by the wind to every part of the island. There are also houses around, but these are usually located at the central area and can cost up to 10 millions dollars and more. As compared to Malaysia where almost everyone lives in houses.

By law, food in Singapore is no match to Malaysia.
The food. Nothing to talk about there, Malaysian food is still the best. The worst thing is Sinapore does not have any mamak stores. The essential part of every Malaysian's life. I am like dying for roti cannai and teh o ais right now. It's not like S'pore does not have any roti cannais, but they call it by a different name, roti prata. Intuituion tells me that roti prata will be no where near Malaysian roti cannai. And to singaporeans, a mamak store is a convinence store run by a mamak. *rolls eyes* Well eventhough Spore is like a channel away from us, I see that the cultural differences are vast.

Other than that, let's talk about the people in Singapore. i can't really say much since i don't really live here and i have only interacted with the Church breathen. So i can only speak of those whom i've talked with, which are mainly youths. Fact : Girls in Singapore can play L4D and DOTA. (thought they are not all that good) The youths in singapore, or should i say the Christian youths in singapore are very friendly. Maybe thats because I've met most of them in YDP already. YEAH most probally. But anyway, i would like to thank Jon Yang ( The coolest youth "adult" around), Ernest, Benjamin, Alan, Justin, err..i forgot his name again, Sharyl(i now know this is the right spelling), Ser Ern (super pro chef at Sakuraa! Hopefully XD)  and Eliza(one of the 'best' L4D2 players i hv ever met) for sacrificing their time to take us around last Saturday. Will blog about that later.


This is just a short post on my life in Singapore. Will post a more detailed version after I (regretfully) return to Malaysia next month.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete